I first tasted this tomato soup when visiting Alentejo, in the south of Portugal. So, naturally, it brings back warm summer memories. That being said, I gladly enjoy it throughout the year.
Apart from a bit of peeling and chopping, it is a low effort recipe, that you may have as a starter, or as a meal.Jump to Recipe
Other recipes you may like:
I hope you give this recipe a try! Share your creations with me on Instagram @beetherush_!
And don’t forget to check out the video I created for this recipe, so you can see how I make it! Find my YouTube channel here.
PORTUGUESE TOMATO SOUPCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 kg tomatoes
2 bay leaves
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp dried oregano
700 ml water
¼ cup chopped parsley (or, traditionally, pennyroyal)
2 to 4 eggs
- To a pan, add two tablespoons of olive oil and two chopped onions. Sauté over medium heat for a few minutes, until the onions are translucent. Then, add two minced garlic cloves, letting them cook for a few minutes.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes, and add them to the pan.
- Allow the soup to simmer for a couple of minutes before seasoning (bay leaves, salt, pepper and oregano).
- Then, add 500 ml of water. You may feel like you need more (or less) water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Let it simmer for 15 min, over medium to low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped parsley.
- Pour 200 ml of water in the pan and let it come to a simmer, before adding the eggs. Two will be fine, but I usually add four. Cover the pan with a lid and allow the eggs to cook to your preference.
- Optional: toast some slices of bread, and pour the soup over them.
- This yields 2 portions as a meal, or 4 as a starter.
- If you prefer a smooth texture, use a stick blender, but I think chunky is the way to go!
- I like the eggs still gooey, but not overly runny. So, about 5 minutes. But if you like them completely cooked, definitely go for it!
Check out my YouTube Channel
I share my ovo lacto vegetarian recipes and my experiences traveling as a vegetarian. Also, I will probably try to show you my cats (sorry about that)! If you’re vegetarian, or curious about vegetarian food, consider subscribing.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Sofia!
I love vegetarian food and traveling. Also, cats. Mostly cats. I hope you enjoy my recipes!