I first tasted this tomato soup when visiting Alentejo, in the south of Portugal. So, naturally, it brings back warm summer memories. That being said, I gladly enjoy it throughout the year.
Apart from a bit of peeling and chopping, it is a low effort recipe, that you may have as a starter, or as a meal.Jump to Recipe
Other recipes you may like:
I hope you give this recipe a try! Share your creations with me on Instagram @beetherush_!
And don’t forget to check out the video I created for this recipe, so you can see how I make it! Find my YouTube channel here.
PORTUGUESE TOMATO SOUPCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 kg tomatoes
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano
700 ml water
¼ cup chopped parsley (or, traditionally, pennyroyal)
2 to 4 eggs
- To a pan, add two tablespoons of olive oil and two chopped onions. Sauté over medium heat for a few minutes, until the onions are translucent. Then, add two minced garlic cloves, letting them cook for a few minutes.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes, and add them to the pan.
- Allow the soup to simmer for a couple of minutes before seasoning (bay leaves, salt, pepper and oregano).
- Then, add 500 ml of water. You may feel like you need more (or less) water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Let it simmer for 15 min, over medium to low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped parsley.
- Pour 200 ml of water into the pan and let it come to a simmer, before adding the eggs. Two will be fine, but I usually add four. Cover the pan with a lid and allow the eggs to cook to your preference.
- Optional: toast some slices of bread, and pour the soup over them.
- This yields 2 portions as a meal, or 4 as a starter.
- If you prefer a smooth texture, use a stick blender, but I think chunky is the way to go!
- I like the eggs still gooey, but not overly runny. So, about 5 minutes. But if you like them completely cooked, definitely go for it!
Check out my YouTube Channel
I share my ovo lacto vegetarian recipes and my experiences traveling as a vegetarian. Also, I will probably try to show you my cats (sorry about that)! If you’re vegetarian, or curious about vegetarian food, consider subscribing.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Sofia!
I love vegetarian food and traveling. Also, cats. Mostly cats. I hope you enjoy my recipes!