Today I’m showing you how to make Bolo Rainha which means queen cake! This is a less famous version of the bolo rei or king cake, which is common in a lot of countries, but, like many other baked goods, originally comes from France, probably. It’s made with candied fruits and nuts. I’m making the Queen version of this cake because I don’t really like candied fruit, so we’re going fully nuts.
Jump to Recipe
This is not your traditional fluffy cake. It is more like a cross between a cake and bread. It’s crumbly and not overly sweet. And you can definitely toast it the next day for breakfast with some butter and it is heavenly!
I hope you give this recipe a try! Share your creations with me on Instagram @beetherush_!
Bolo Rainha | Queen CakeCourse: RECIPES
1/3 cup milk
3 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 and 1/2 cups roughly chopped nuts (pecan, almonds, walnuts)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Heat 1/3 of a cup of milk for 15 seconds in the microwave and then mix in 15g of yeast. Melt the butter in the microwave for about a minute.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix 3 and 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour. 1 cup of sugar, one pinch of salt, and the zest of 1 lemon. Then mix in the milk and the butter. Add 2 eggs and knead for about 5 minutes, using the dough hook.
- cover with cling film and proof for 40 minutes in a warm place. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and mix in the nuts, reserving some for decoration. Shape the dough into a big doughnut and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the cake with the mixture.
- Cover with cling film and let it proof for 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 175º Celsius.
- Add the remaining nuts and brush with the remaining egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for a bit and then sprinkle with powder sugar.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Sofia!
I love vegetarian food and traveling. Also, cats. Mostly cats. I hope you enjoy my recipes!