How to make cosmic brownies?
This question has been in my mind for about a week now!
I’ll tell why I had to come up with my own homemade cosmic brownies version, but let me just say these are really chocolatey and not too sweet! And the chocolate frosting is absolutely delicious!
Full disclosure, I’ve never had a cosmic brownie! I’ve never even heard of them until recently!
So, why am I suddenly interested in cosmic brownies?
I was watching a video by my fellow YouTuber The Vintage Vegetarian where he reviewed them. And they looked absolutely delicious!
So, why not buy them and be done with it?
Well, I live in Portugal, and we can’t buy them here! So, I had to make my own!
Are my brownies even close to the original? I have no way of knowing, but they are delicious brownies, and that’s enough for me!
What are cosmic brownies?
Cosmic Brownies are rich, fudgy and dense chocolate brownies, topped with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles. They were popularized by the Little Debbie Company.
Some notes on how I make homemade cosmic brownies
If you know me, you know my lazy approach to baking: if possible, everything in one bowl and mix.
But, by all means, if you insist, mix the dry ingredients separately and add them to the wet!
I use all brown sugar, but you could use half brown and half granulated! They’ll probably be sweeter!
If you manage to pay enough attention, don’t overcook the brownies. If you do, don’t worry, you’ll still have a delicious chocolate cake.
I don’t have any sprinkles, I usually have no use for them! But I had some rainbow candy my father brought me from turkey, so I smashed it with a rolling pin and pretended they were sprinkles! Cooking is improvising!
Ideally, you should refrigerate the brownies before cutting, but I won’t judge you if you don’t, I know I didn’t (as you may see in the pictures)!
That being said, they are actually better when you keep them in the fridge for a bit!
Other recipes you may like:
- Stone fruit crumble
- Raspberry crumble bars
- Roasted butternut squash chocolate chunk cookies
- Roasted butternut squash & pumpkin spice crumble bars
I hope you give this recipe a try! Share your creations with me on Instagram @beetherush_!
And don’t forget to check out the video I created for this recipe, so you can see how I make it! Find my YouTube channel here.
Homemade Cosmic BrowniesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Rich and indulgent homemade brownies.
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
50g dark chocolate
1/3 heavy cream
Rainbow sprinkles or candy
- Preheat the oven to 170º and line a baking pan with foil paper.
- Melt the butter for 1 minute in the microwave.
- In a bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the honey, the vanilla and the eggs.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix. Then add the flour, the baking powder, and the salt and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven ad let it cool a bit in the pan, while you make the frosting. Heat the heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. Chop 50g of dark chocolate. Add the chocolate to the cream and let it stand for 2 or 3 minutes. Then, stir until smooth.
- Pour the frosting on top of the brownies and garnish with rainbow sprinkles.
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting into 12 squares.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Sofia!
I love vegetarian food and traveling. Also, cats. Mostly cats. I hope you enjoy my recipes!