These savory vegan hand pies with tofu and veggies are a great way to use up any veggies you have in your fridge!
They are an absolute treat: crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and all-around delicious!
You can have them with a salad for lunch, or by themselves as a quick breakfast!Jump to Recipe
More than an exact recipe, this is more of a guide on how to make savory hand pies: you could use any veggies you have at hand and your favorite spices.
If you’re using cabbage, though, I recommend you don’t skip the vinegar. And if you add tofu, turmeric is a great spice to use. They just work together perfectly!
And, I believe, there’s no savory recipe that wouldn’t benefit from paprika, but that’s up to you to decide.
I don’t add salt as the soy sauce is salty. But always taste your filling and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Vegan Puff Pastry?
Also, can you believe these are actually vegan? I found it hard to believe myself! I use the vegan puff pastry from Lidl and I have to say I always get great results!
Should You Press The Tofu?
I understand pressing the tofu can have some advantages, but I only do it for very specific recipes! I believe cooking must be pleasurable and straightforward, and I don’t like to add any steps that involve extra work to my recipes! I like them lazy but effective!
I buy firm tofu, usually from Lidl (no, I’m not sponsored by Lidl, I’m just a big fan!) and just drain the extra liquid in the package!
Savory Vegan Hand Pies With Tofu And Veggies In 5 Simple Steps
1 – Prep the veggies and the tofu
Peel and slice the veggies and crumble the tofu.
2 – Cook and season
Cook the veggies and tofu in some oil and add the spices.
3 – Prep the puff pastry
Spread the puff pastry sheet and fold it to measure, first in half, and then in quarters, making small marks. Then, cut it into 8 rectangles.
Set the oven to 200º and line a baking sheet.
4 – Assemble the pies
Let the filling cool a bit (if not completely). Add some of it to one of the rectangles and then cover with another piece of dough. Press the edges of the dough together and use a fork to make pretty marks all around. Cut two holes on top of the pies and transfer to the lined baking sheet. Brush with soy milk.
5 – Bake
Bake for 15 to 20 min, or until golden.
Other recipes you may like:
- Savoury Tapenade Palmiers
- Chickpea Dip
- Easy And Delicious Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Portuguese Tomato Soup
I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy these savory vegan hand pies with tofu and veggies! If you do, don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram @beetherush_!
And don’t forget to check out the video I created for this recipe, so you can see how I make it! Find my YouTube channel here.
Savory Vegan Hand PiesCourse: Lunch, BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
Savory Vegan Hand Pies With Tofu And Veggies.
2 garlic cloves
1/2 small cabbage
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 sheet puff pastry
1 tablespoon soy milk
- Peel and slice one onion and two garlic cloves. Peel a carrot and cut into tinny cubes. Slice half a small cabbage. Crumble the tofu.
- To a large pan, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, paprika, and turmeric. Let it cook for 20 minutes or until the veggies soften.
- While the filling is cooling, spread the puff pastry sheet and fold it to measure, first in half, and then in quarters, making small marks. Then, cut it into 8 rectangles. Set the oven to 200º and line a baking sheet.
- Add some of the filling to one of the rectangles and then cover with another piece of dough. Press the edges of the dough together and use a fork to make marks all around. Cut two holes on top of the pies and transfer to the lined baking sheet. Brush with soy milk.
- Bake for 15 to 20 min, or until golden.
- I don’t add salt as the soy sauce is salty. But always taste your filling and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Sofia!
I love vegetarian food and traveling. Also, cats. Mostly cats. I hope you enjoy my recipes!